Guardians are usually ordinary citizens whom take it upon themselves to defend and protect. They derive a great sense of satisfaction and Honor from standing in harms’ way for others. They are firm believers in the old adage that ‘we are our brother’s keeper’. For some this is simply a lifestyle choice while for others it’s an occupation. Regardless of the motivation, Guardians make stalwart allies and implacable foes. Typically wearing heavy armor, they also specialize in using shields both offensively and defensively, making them difficult to overcome in conventional melee combat.
While they may come from all walks of life, Guardians are some of the most highly prized personal guards and are often found in the employ of lords and wealthy merchants. When they feel their charge is threatened they are relentless in their duty, sometimes even willing to ignore the laws of the land if necessary to defend those in their care. This does not make them reckless—they are highly tactical thinkers and when formed up together on the battlefield are neigh unbreakable.
Typical Roles: Tank, Support/Utility, Melee Damage, Ranged Damage
Damage Types: Physical
Class Mechanic: Honor and Vigor
Available Races: High Elf, Dwarf, Human, Orc, Half-Orc, Kayden, Minotaur, Centaur
Initial Gold: varies by race from 152.0 to 280.0
During Character Creation you may choose to use the Default Stat Line, before racial modifiers, instead of rolling for stats, or if after rolling ten sets of stats you don’t like the results
Natural Armor Proficiency: Cloth, Leather, Mail
Trainable Armor Proficiency: Plate
Natural Weapon Proficiency: Knives, Swords, Bludgeons, Axes, Polearms, Bows, Shields
Trainable Weapon Proficiency: Crossbows
Guardians use the following chart for leveling up:
- New Honor Codes and new Code Abilities require training unless they are upgrades (i.e.increasing the number of code points in Honor Strike from 1 to 2), see Learning New Honor Codes and Code Abilities for details
- Re-calculate Vigor Max each level
- New vigor abilities require training unless they are upgrades (i.e. Offensive Stance -> Improved Offensive Stance), see Learning New Vigor Abilities for details
Specializations are recommended for advanced players only, and are accomplished through the Secondary Skill system (see Specialist Skills). Guardians may choose to specialize their skills in up to one weapon uses and/or one combat style.
- Max one Weapon Specialist skill (choose from: Knives, Swords, Bludgeons, Axes, Polearms, Bows, Crossbows)
- Max one Combat Specialist skill (choose from: Sword and Board, Freehand, Great Weapon, Paired Weapon, Freestyle, Sharp Shooter, Skirmisher, Peltast, Warder, Mounted)
Guardians gain titles based on their deeds and reputation both on and off the battlefield. While they may begin their career as a simple Citizen-Soldier, as their honor and renown grows they often find themselves with opportunities to serve others and become sought after as personal bodyguards, or even go on to command elite household guards.
The standard Renown based title ups for Guardians are as follows: